How to Volunteer
1st Hinchley Wood Scout Group has volunteer opportunities across the whole group.
Some weekly volunteer positions enable children of volunteers to be moved up the relevant waiting list. This is almost always for uniformed section leaders, although no prior knowledge is required. Full training is given before a Leader is invested. Uniformed leaders do not have to pay subs for their children that attend 1st Hinchley Wood, although some choose to make a charitable donation to cover this. We have a mixture of volunteers, some with children within the group, some who’s have long since graduated and other who have never had children as members. All are welcome
Our group can only offer all the fantastic opportunities it does because of the efforts of our leaders and section volunteers. We are always in need of adult helpers, regardless of whether you are interested in becoming a fully fledged leader, a member of our executive committee or can only offer a few hours once in a while, every little helps.
- The majority of our Leaders have full time jobs and a family – we’re all busy!
- All our Leaders are covered by a comprehensive insurance policy while taking part in Scouting
- All of our leaders are fully DBS checked and first aid trained
- Leaders get involved because they want to have fun and make new friends, not all of them were in Scouting when they were younger
- Many of our helpers and leaders are parents of our youth members because they’ve seen first-hand how Scouting benefits young people and want to give something back
Any prospective leaders are given full a training package, the majority of which can be done in modular form; it does not mean weeks away from home! Our Leaders tell us that they find volunteering both rewarding and the kind of challenge that their work often doesn’t provide. We also hold various volunteer social events, forming a bond that is often unique. On top of this Leaders get discounts at various local and national businesses.
We do also require volunteers that aren’t uniformed leaders, particularly around logistics. This could be catering at a week long summer camp, our Summer Fair, fundraising or other admin.
Please contact us to find out more.